TESOL Teacher Education Program
(Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
The TESOL program prepares students to become Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESL/TESOL). The thorough foundation in general linguistics that characterizes our program serves our teacher candidates well in their development as professionals. Additionally, the Stony Brook University program is unique on Long Island in its emphasis on data-driven curriculum design and the integration of technology specifically focused on the needs of English Language Learners. Our students are sought after by local districts familiar with the high quality of our graduates.
Undergraduate students wishing to apply must major in Linguistics, have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 as well as a 3.0 in the LIN major, and must consult the Undergraduate Program Director in Linguistics and the Director of TESOL Teacher Preparation and Certification (see contact information below). These consultations should take place as early as possible in students' academic careers to ensure completion of the program requirements in a timely manner.
- Applicants must have earned a minimum overall grade point average of 3.0.
- Transfer students must have earned at least a 3.0 at the institution from which they are transferring. If students have completed more than 12 credits at Stony Brook, admission decisions will be based on their Stony Brook grade point average.
- Applicants must have earned a 3.0 grade point average in the Linguistics major. Students are required to have taken LIN 101 (Human Language) as well as either LIN 201 (Phonetics) or LIN 311 (Syntax). Both courses must be completed with a C or higher prior to applying for the TESOL Teacher Education Program. These requirements also hold for registration for LIN 375 and LIN 449.
It is recommended that students apply during the second semester of their sophomore year to ensure timely program completion.
- Applicants must meet with the Undergraduate Program Director of the Linguistics Department, to discuss program requirements and to ask for signatures on the application form .
- Applicants must submit the completed form, along with an unofficial copy of their transcript(s) from all colleges and universities previously attended, to the Undergraduate Program Director of the Linguistics Department.
- After applicants have received notice of acceptance to the program, they should declare the BA in Linguistics with a Teacher Preparation by submitting the "Declaration of Major/Minor Form" on SOLAR, adding the Teacher Preparation option.
Applications are accepted at any time, but admission decisions will be made shortly after the following dates:
- Last day of classes in fall and spring semesters
- First day of classes in fall and spring semesters
Undergraduate Application Form: Download
Undergraduate TESOL Program Course Planner: Download
Undergraduate TESOL Program Sample Schedule: Download
Prof. Marie Huffman
Undergraduate Program Director in Linguistics
Director of TESOL Teacher Preparation and Certification
Director of Field Experience and Clinical Practice in TESOL