TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
The BA-TESOL program prepares students to become Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (ENL/TESOL). The thorough foundation in general linguistics that characterizes our program serves our teacher candidates well in their development as professionals. Additionally, the Stony Brook University program is unique on Long Island in its emphasis on curriculum design and the integration of technology specifically focused on the needs of English Language Learners. Our students are sought after by local districts familiar with the high quality of our graduates.
Undergraduate students wishing to apply must major in Linguistics, have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 as well as a 3.0 in the LIN major, and must consult the Director of TESOL Teacher Preparation and Certification and the Undergraduate Program Director in Linguistics (see contact information below). These consultations should take place as early as possible in students' academic careers to ensure completion of the program requirements in a timely manner.
- Applicants must have earned a minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
- Transfer students must have earned at least a 3.0 at the institution from which they are transferring. If students have completed more than 12 credits at Stony Brook, admission decisions will be based on their Stony Brook GPA.
- Applicants must have earned a 3.0 GPA in the Linguistics major. Students are required to have taken LIN 101 (Human Language) as well as either LIN 201 (Phonetics) or LIN 311 (Syntax). Both courses must be completed with a C or higher prior to applying for the TESOL Teacher Education Program. These requirements also hold for registration for LIN 375 and LIN 449.
It is recommended that students apply during the second semester of their sophomore year to ensure timely program completion.
- Applicants must meet with the Director of TESOL Teacher Preparation and Certification and the Undergraduate Program Director of the Linguistics Department prior to applying.
- Applicants must submit the completed Google Form.
- After applicants have received notice of acceptance to the program, they should declare the BA in Linguistics with a Teacher Preparation by submitting the "Declaration of Major/Minor Form" on SOLAR, adding the Teacher Preparation option.
Applications are accepted at any time, but admission decisions will be made shortly after the following dates:
- Last day of classes in fall and spring semesters
- First day of classes in fall and spring semesters
Undergraduate TESOL Program Course Planner: Download
Undergraduate TESOL Program Sample Schedule: Download
For more information on the foreign language requirement for TESOL certification, see this document.
Undergraduate Program Director in Linguistics
Director of TESOL Teacher Preparation and Certification
Director of Field Experience and Clinical Practice in TESOL