BA/MA TESOL Program
(Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
This combined BA/MA program in TESOL allows students to earn two degrees in one semester less than if the programs were to be completed sequentially. Due to the compressed nature of the timeline, an applicant must have an outstanding undergraduate record to be accepted.
Students will pursue a normal course of study for the BA in Linguistics. To complete the requirements for NYS teaching certification, students will take two Methods courses and will complete the associated Field Experience component, as well as a semester of student teaching. This will allow students to enter the graduate program prepared to complete their MA degree in one year of full-time study.
Before applying, students should discuss their intentions with the Undergraduate Program Director.
Required Undergraduate Courses:
- LIN 101 Human Language
- LIN 201 Phonetics
- LIN 311 Syntax
- LIN 301 Phonology
- LIN 405 Writing in Linguistics
- LIN 431 Structure of an Uncommonly Taught Language
6 additional LIN courses which must include:
- LIN 307 Sociolinguistics
- LIN 524 TESOL Pedagogy: Theory and Practice (plus LIN 579)
- LIN 529 Content Based Language and Literacy Development (plus LIN 579)
- Plus three others (2 of which must be upper-division)
Foreign language requirement: Two semesters beyond the university foreign language requirement (which is proficiency comparable to two semesters of college-level study).
Professional development requirements:
- SSE 350 Foundations of Education
- CEF 347 Introduction to Special Education
- PSY 327 Introduction to Human Development
- LIN 344 Literacy Development
- Various seminars and exams
LIN 454 (Managing Instruction, Assessment and Resources) plus LIN 451 and LIN 452
Two semesters of full-time master's-level courses. Please consult with the MA TESOL Program Director before registering.
Please consult the BA/MA Program Planner worksheet.
For more information on the foreign language requirement for TESOL certification, see this document.
Minimum Requirements for Application
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 overall
- A minimum GPA of 3.3 in the Linguistics major
- At least four (4) LIN courses which must include: LIN 101, LIN 201, and LIN 311
- All applicants whose native language is other than English must demonstrate oral language proficiency in English by taking the Speaking component of the Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL-IBT) and earning a minimum score of 28. (Refer to the TOEFL website for further information regarding the test.)
- A cover letter of intent
- A completed BA/MA TESOL Teacher Education Program Application Form
- A Major/Minor Declaration Form ( Registrar's website)
- Two (2) recommendation letters from faculty in the Linguistics Department
During the student teaching semester, students will submit an Application to Graduate School for the Accelerated Bachelor’s-Master’s Degree . The application fee is waived. At this time, the student's performance will be reviewed and permission to complete the remainder of the graduate program will be based on:
- Satisfactory performance in LIN 524, LIN 579, LIN 529 and LIN 579
- Successful completion of Student Teaching
- Overall GPA of 3.0
- Minimum GPA in major of 3.3
April 1 for Fall semester admission.
Students should apply during the Spring semester of their sophomore year. Students in the combined program will take graduate level pedagogy courses during the Fall and Spring semesters of their junior year.
Note: Graduate tuition is charged at a different rate than undergraduate tuition, and undergraduate financial aid cannot be used once individuals are designated as graduate students. Please consult with your financial aid officer to find out how this program would affect any financial aid you receive.
Graduates of the program will complete 12 credits of foreign language study with a grade of C or better.
Please note: The deadline for BA/MA TESOL Program admissions is April 1.
Due to current limited availability worldwide testing centers, the Department of Linguistics is accepting scores from the Duolingo English test in lieu of scores from IELTS or TOEFL. For Duolingo links, visit: https://www.stonybrook.edu/sb/graduatebulletin/current/admissions/requirements/english.php
Undergraduate Program Director
Director of TESOL Teacher Preparation and Certification