Emergency COVID-19 Certificate
Candidates who are seeking certain certificates and extensions that require exam(s) may be eligible for the Emergency COVID-19 certificate, allowing them to work in New York State public schools or districts for one year while taking and passing the required exam(s) for the certificate or extension sought.
This ONLY applies to candidates who have completed all course requirements for the certificate or extension applied for, other than the examination requirements. If candidates have already taken the Content Specialty Test (CST), then the following does not apply. Standard procedures are in effect for these students.
- Certificates and Extensions. The Emergency COVID-19 certificate is available for candidates who are seeking one of the following certificates or extensions: Bilingual Education extension, Initial or Professional certificate in the classroom teaching service,
- Deadline for Applications. Candidates must apply for the certificate or extension sought on or before September 1, 2020 (e.g., ESOL supplementary cert). They must also apply for the Emergency COVID-19 certificate, in the same certificate title as the certificate or extension sought, on or before September 1, 2020. Please check this webpage to find out when the certificate application will be available.
- Application Fees. There is no fee to apply for the Emergency COVID-19 certificate.
- Certificate Requirement. Candidates must have completed all requirements for the certificate or extension sought, other than the exam requirement(s), on or before September 1, 2020. Required exams include the edTPA, CST tests and those listed on the NYSTCE website.
- Validity Period. The Emergency COVID-19 certificate is valid for one year.
- Renewal. If candidates have not earned passing score(s) on the required certification exam(s) prior to the expiration date of the Emergency COVID-19 certificate, they can apply for a one-time, one-year extension of the certificate that extends the first Emergency COVID-19 certificate expiration date by one year. For renewal, candidates must receive a recommendation for the renewal from a principal and the superintendent in the New York State school district in which the candidate is employed, or a recommendation for the renewal from the BOCES District Superintendent in the BOCES in which the candidate is employed.
- Certificate or Extension Issuance. When candidates take and pass exams, the passing scores are posted in TEACH and the exam requirements are automatically marked as “Met” on the application of the certificate or extension sought. For candidates who hold an Emergency COVID-19 certificate in the same certificate title, the certificate or extension sought will automatically issue in TEACH when all exam requirement(s) are met.
- Eligible Candidates. Examples of candidates who may be eligible for the Emergency COVID-19 certificate include, but are not limited to, those who:
- Complete or completed a New York State registered teacher or educational leadership preparation program leading to Initial or Professional certification, or a registered extension program, prior to the Fall 2020 term.
- Graduate or graduated from an acceptable out-of-state teacher or educational leadership preparation program and have less than three years of acceptable experience in another state prior to the Fall 2020 term (e.g., not eligible for the “Endorsement of a Certificate” pathway);