Apply to the M.A. Linguistics Program
Admission is for the Fall semester only. For best consideration, your application should be completed as early as possible, but the final deadline for applications is April 15 for international applicants and May 15 for domestic applicants.
How to Apply
Submit your online application via online. Please be sure to choose the correct Masters program from the drop down list on Apply Yourself. The Linguistics Department offers MA TESOL Program and the MA in Linguistics Program.
CHECKLIST: Your completed application MUST contain the following materials:
- Statement of purpose and CV (curriculum vitae) or resume.
- 3 letters of recommendation.
- Writing sample (generally, a paper written for a course you have taken).
- Non-refundable application fee of $100, paid online by credit card.
- Official Transcripts: Two official copies of all previous transcripts for all colleges and universities attended, including junior and senior college and graduate transcripts (if applicable). If transcripts are in a language other than English, certified English translations are required in addition to the original documents.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) general test scores. For information on the GRE, visit the GRE website (link here: http://www.ets.org/gre)
- For students whose native language is not English: TOEFL or IELTS scores, taken within the last two years.
Most of these materials will be submitted online. Any materials submitted by mail should be sent to the following address:
Michelle Carbone, Graduate Program Coordinator
Department of Linguistics, Room S-201 Social & Behavioral Sciences Building
Stony Brook NY 11794-4376
Minimum Requirements for Admission to M.A. Linguistics Program
In considering applicants for admission, we look at the overall application package. However, the requirements below constitute the minimum for admission:
- Baccalaureate degree with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (or equivalent). This requirement can be waived for applicants who have obtained a master’s degree with a GPA over 3.0. A final transcript showing that the baccalaureate degree has been awarded must be presented at the time of registration.
- Foreign language proficiency: equivalent to two years of college work in language other than English with a grade of C or better.
- English language proficiency for students whose native language is not English: Minimum total TOEFL/IELTS score: 90 (iBT TOEFL) or 6.5 (IELTS).