TESOL Teacher Education Program
(Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
The TESOL program prepares students to become Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESL/TESOL). The thorough foundation in general linguistics that characterizes our program serves our teacher candidates well in their development as professionals. Additionally, the Stony Brook University program is unique on Long Island in its emphasis on data-driven curriculum design and the integration of technology specifically focused on the needs of English Language Learners. Our students are sought after by local districts familiar with the high quality of our graduates.
Undergraduate students wishing to apply must major in Linguistics, have a minimum
cumulative GPA of 3.0 as well as a 3.0 in the LIN major, and must consult the Undergraduate
Program Director in Linguistics and the Director of the TESOL Program (see contact
information below) as early as possible in their academic careers to discuss course
selection to ensure completion of the program requirements in a timely manner.
- Applicants must have earned a minimum overall grade point average of 3.0.
- Transfer students must have earned at least a 3.0 at the institution from which they are transferring. If students have completed more than 12 credits at Stony Brook, admission decisions will be based on their Stony Brook grade point average.
- Applicants must have earned a 3.0 grade point average in the Linguistics major. Students are required to have taken LIN 101 (Human Language), LIN 201 (Phonetics), and/or LIN 311 (Syntax) prior to applying for the TESOL Teacher Education Program and in order to register for LIN 375 and LIN 449.
- Application forms must be submitted by the following dates.
- For Fall semester admission: April 15 of previous semester
- For Spring semester admission: November 15 of previous semester
Undergraduate Application Form: Undergraduate Application From
Undergraduate TESOL Program Course Planner: Undergraduate TESOL Certification Planner
Dr. Annette Shideler
Director of TESOL Program