We're hiring: Assistant Professor of Computational Linguistics
The Department of Linguistics at Stony Brook University invites applications for a tenure-track position in Computational Linguistics at the rank of Assistant Professor, beginning Fall 2020. The successful candidate will have a PhD in Linguistics or related field, an active research program in Computational Linguistics, as well as the ability to teach courses in this and related areas at the graduate and undergraduate levels.
The Department of Linguistics at Stony Brook University has a strong focus on computational linguistics, in particular its interface with theoretical and experimental linguistics. It offers 4 degree programs in Linguistics (BA, MA, MA Comp Ling, PhD), and is developing an Undergraduate Track in Computational Linguistics. For more information, please visit: http://www.linguistics.stonybrook.edu
The ideal candidate would be expected to
(1) maintain an active research program in computational linguistics that addresses concerns in one or more core areas of linguistics, complementing and enhancing the Department's strengths,
(2) contribute to the ongoing development of the Department's graduate and undergraduate curricula and degree programs,
(3) initiate new collaborations and expand existing ones with other computational research groups on campus, in particular, those in Computer Science, Psychology, Sociology and/or Neurobiology as well as at the Institute for Advanced Computational Science (IACS),
(4) strengthen the department’s connections with the local IT industry.
Anticipated Start Date: Fall, 2020.
Those interested in this position should:
1. Complete the online Applicant Information Survey . Do not submit this survey to the department with your application. (Completion of this form is voluntary and in no way affects the decision regarding your employment opportunity.) With questions regarding the survey, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Submit a State Employment Application cover letter and resume/CV by clicking Apply. Alternatively, you may submit your application package to the departmental address or fax below.
3. Complete the Academic Jobs Online application and submit the following documents:
• cover letter and CV
• three representative articles or other writing samples
• research statement (2 pp maximum)
• teaching statement (2 pp maximum)
• 3 letters of recommendation (to be submitted directly)
For fullest consideration, submit applications by December 1, 2019.
Web Address for Applications: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/14732
Professor John F. Bailyn
Chair, Computational Linguistics Search Committee
Dept. of Linguistics
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-4376
Fax: (631) 632-9789
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at http://stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Stony Brook University is an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer and educator. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Human Resources Services Department at (631) 632-6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available.